In this modern digital marketplace, every brand is looking for a way to boost their visibility online. Without difficulty, one of the best ways to reach more customers is to improve your rankings on search engines like Google. But if you want to get noticed on Google, you’re going to need to put in some work.
Search engine optimization takes time to work its magic. You can’t just write a great blog and expect the traffic to start pouring in. Instead, you’ve got to be strategic about where you spend your time and energy. Having a plan in place can help you focus your efforts on the most important parts of your SEO strategy.
Whether you are just getting your website up for the first time or you’re looking for ways to optimize your existing site, you can use the 4 steps below to get discovered on Google in no time:
4 Easy Steps on How to Get Found on Google
- Do your keyword research.
SEO keyword research is a critical first step to get found on Google. Keyword research helps you identify the keywords and phrases that your target customers use to find brands like yours on the search engine. This doesn’t just include comprehensive keywords that are one or two words long but also long-tail keywords, which are more specific phrases that a search engine user might type in to narrow down their search.
Expand your keyword list.
Once you’ve got an initial keyword list, it’s time to expand. There are a few distinct tactics that you can use to get lighted growing your keyword list:
- Localize your keywords. If you are a brick-and-mortar store or you target consumers in certain geographic locations, try adding city information to your keywords. For example, “Los Angeles air conditioning repair.”
- Use Google suggest. Do you know how Google suggests certain things to you based on what you start to type in the search bar? You can use these suggestions to add keyword phrases.
- Look at similar searches. When you search for terms on Google, you’ll see a list of similar searches at the bottom of the SERP. Take a look at certain and see if any of them are relevant to your brand.
- Look at your competition. Another way to expand your keyword list is to take a look at what your competitors rank for. You may also want to be including some of these keywords on your list.
Research keyword volume and difficulty.
Now that you have a list of potential keywords, you’ll need to do some investigating to find out which ones are worth pursuing. Start by taking a look at the average monthly search volume for each of the keywords on Google Keyword Planner.
The information above is just a basic overview of how you can get started with SEO keyword analysis. If you’re looking for more advanced tips, check out our post on keyword research tips that will take your SEO to the next level.
- Create content optimized for search engines.
If you want to get found on Google, you’ve got to create content that’s optimized for the search engines. Now, that you have a list of keywords, you can develop appropriate and useful content that emphasizes the keywords and phrases that consumers are using to find brands like yours. Your content is something the search engine crawls, or searches through, to find these keywords and deliver the right results to search engine users.
Content is known as an on-page SEO factor, meaning that it is something you do on your site to boost your search engine optimization. Google determines great content as one of its top 3 ranking factors, so businesses must invest in producing and publishing great content regularly.
Content marketing is not only an important part of your SEO strategy, but it also plays a vital role in improving fuel your digital marketing campaigns. When you produce great content for your audience to read, you are engaging and educating them. Which goes a long way toward guiding them to the next step in the purchasing process.
For this reason, your content should be optimized for search engines but also important and useful for the people reading it.
Now that you know why great content is important, let’s talk about what makes content great from an SEO perspective.
In addition to writing quality content that is recent and naturally uses keywords, you should also pay attention to how you format your content on the page. This will play an important role in how easy it is for search engines to find and learn what your content is about.
As a start, you should use the keywords in the first 100 words of text in your blog post or site page. You should also include the keyword toward the beginning of your title.
Also, you need to use keywords in a few other strategic areas to ensure that your content will get found on Google. Use keywords in at least one of your H2 headings as well as in the description, meta-tags, and URL. You should also use keywords in the image titles, alt text, and captions, when appropriate.
- Focus on off-page elements of SEO.
Publishing lots of great content is just the start. All of your keyword research and optimized content will go to waste if you don’t have the off-page SEO to support it.
If you want to get found on Google, you’ll need to do some work off your website to work to drive also traffic to your pages and show Google they are relevant and useful.
This visual gives a great breakdown of the different tasks involved with on- and off-page SEO.
Off-page SEO helps increase the traffic back to your site while also helping you establish quality backlinks. Backlinks are links from other sites back to your content. Backlinks are Google’s #1 ranking factor as they are one of the best testaments to the quality of your content.
Here are just a few activities that you can do “off-page” to encourage more quality backlinks and boost your SERP ranking:
- Share content on social media. One of the easiest ways to get your content out into the world is to share it on your social media channels. The more your posts are read, the more opportunities you have to expose new consumers to your brand as well as get backlinks to your content.
- Write guest blog posts. Taking the opportunity to guest blog on other sites is a great way to expand your reach and drive backlinks to your content. Find relevant publications and blogs that will allow you to write guest posts on topics that your audience will find useful.
- Reach out to influencers. Influencers in your industry have the attention of your target audience. If you want to expand your reach, it would benefit your business to build relationships with influencers and engage with their content. This increases the chances of them sharing your articles with their audience or even backlinking to your content.
- Comment on other blogs. Another great way to get your name out there and drive traffic back to your content is to engage with other relevant blog content. This helps you build relationships with other bloggers while also taking advantage of the opportunity to drop your links in the comments when appropriate.
- Join online communities. Joining online communities such as relevant online industry chat forums, private slack channels, and LinkedIn groups is a great way to meet others in your industry and those who may benefit from what your business has to offer. Join and participate in these communities to share links to your content while building authority.
- Repurpose content into videos. Want to draw more attention to the content on your page? Why not repurpose your blog into a video? By putting videos on YouTube, you can reach 3 billion daily active users who are using the video-sharing platform much like a search engine. Just be sure to include a CTA in your video that links back to your site.
- Monitor and test.
SEO is always changing. It seems like just when you’ve got your groove going with your SEO strategy, Google throws another curveball by changing its algorithm. That’s why businesses need to stay up-to-date with the latest in SEO and adjust their strategy and tactics to account for these shifts in best practices and strategies.
Get Help Getting Found on Google
Though search engine optimization is a worthwhile endeavor, it also takes time and resources to do it right. If you don’t have the team in-house to get the job done, you may want to contemplate hiring an experienced SEO company that can help you develop and implement a strategy that will help you get found on Google.
Our goal is to help you acquire a solid plan and take the steps necessary to get found on Google. Our team can help you boost online traffic, grow your search engine ranking, and improve conversions through imperative monthly SEO services.